You can show your support for the Farm Bill and No Kid Hungry®.
Just visit http://nokidhungry.org/farmbill and send your message to congress.Share your story and make a pledge on the site.
Farm Bill & SNAP Overview:
• This spring and summer, members of Congress will be working on the reauthorization of the Farm Bill, legislation that provides funding for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps, and the largest nutrition program in the Farm Bill.
• SNAP helps struggling families buy more food and fresh vegetables to feed their kids.
• SNAP faces potentially devastating cuts in the Farm Bill. These cuts could reduce, or even eliminate, millions of Americans’ access to SNAP benefits, forcing families across the country to go hungry.
• SNAP also provides important economic benefits to communities across the country. For every SNAP dollar spent, $1.79 is returned to the economy. As our economy slowly begins to recover, now is not the time to cut programs that help local businesses and families.
• A family of 4 making less than $23,000 net income qualifies for SNAP.
Quick Hunger Facts:
• 1 in 5 kids in America doesn’t get enough to eat.
• Nearly 50% of SNAP participants are children.
• More than 46 million Americans – a majority of whom are seniors, children, or people with disabilities - rely on SNAP to feed their families.
• The average monthly SNAP benefit = $1.48 per meal
• More than two-thirds of the funds in the most recent Farm Bill help feed these hungry kids through Federal Nutrition Programs.
About Share Our Strength
Share Our Strength®, a national nonprofit, is ending childhood hunger in America by connecting children with the nutritious food they need to lead healthy, active lives. Through its No Kid Hungry® campaign - a national effort to end childhood hunger in America - Share Our Strength ensures children in need are enrolled in effective federal nutrition programs; invests in community organizations fighting hunger; teaches families how to cook healthy, affordable meals; and builds public-private partnerships to end childhood hunger, at the state and city level. Working closely with the culinary industry and relying on the strength of its volunteers, Share Our Strength hosts innovative culinary fundraising events and develops pioneering cause marketing campaigns that support No Kid Hungry.